All women speak two languages:
the language of men
and the language of silent suffering.
Some women speak a third,
the language of queens.
They are marvelous
and they are my friends.
My friends give me poetry.
If it were not for them
I’d be a seamstress out of work.
They send me their dresses
and I sew together poems,
enormous sails for ocean journeys.
My marvelous friends, these women
who are elegant and fix engines,
who teach gynecology and literacy,
and work in jails and sing and sculpt
and paint the ninety-nine names,
who keep each other’s secrets
and pass on each other’s spirits
like small packets of leavening,
it is from you I fashion poetry.
I scoop up, in handfuls, glittering
sequins that fall from your bodies
as you fall in love, marry, divorce,
get custody, get cats, enter
supreme courts of justice,
argue with God.
You rescuers on galloping steeds
of the weak and the wounded–
Creatures of beauty and passion,
powerful workers in love–
you are the poems.
I am only your stenographer.
I am the hungry transcriber
of the conjuring recipes you hoard
in the chests of your great-grandmothers.
My marvelous friends–the women
of brilliance in my life,
who levitate my daughters,
you are a coat of many colors
in silk tie-dye so gossamer
it can be crumpled in one hand.
You houris, you mermaids, swimmers
in dangerous waters, defiers of sharks–
My marvelous friends,
thirsty Hagars and laughing Sarahs,
you eloquent radio Aishas,
Marys drinking the secret
milkshakes of heaven,
slinky Zuleikas of desire,
gay Walladas, Harriets
parting the sea, Esthers in the palace,
Penelopes of patient scheming,
you are the last hope of the shrinking women.
You are the last hand to the fallen knights
You are the only epics left in the world
Come with me, come with poetry
Jump on this wild chariot, hurry–
- revclgreen reblogged this from onthemargin
- revclgreen likes this
- youngasianpussy likes this
- sylvi-culture reblogged this from hennnypotter
- cxxi likes this
- banaati likes this
- black-tea-and-pink-roses likes this
- thedescreature reblogged this from suspendedinasunbeam
- ariannacheyenne likes this
- xsmooth reblogged this from queennubian
- suspendedinasunbeam likes this
- satansteen likes this
- manycoloureddays reblogged this from huntswoman
- twoandahalfcube likes this
- mcsarahriley likes this
- snappppppppppppppp likes this
- xlibrelindaylocax likes this
- sugarkat reblogged this from solbutterfly
- sugarkat likes this
- solbutterfly reblogged this from stormfooted
- stormfooted reblogged this from queerandpresentdanger
- abigailrace likes this
- somewhatmeretricious likes this
- jesus-christ-official reblogged this from angryasiangirlsunited
- moeoftoe likes this
- huntswoman reblogged this from angryasiangirlsunited
- kiyarasabel reblogged this from irresistible-revolution
- kiyarasabel likes this
- iordache likes this
- always-tete likes this
- munchyou likes this
- natpls likes this
- glintglimmergleam likes this
- irresistible-revolution reblogged this from queerandpresentdanger
- toolittlepurple likes this
- amidel reblogged this from lostangelino
- shhvictoria likes this
- fangrrlsassemble reblogged this from sweethesound
- conversationpeace reblogged this from angryasiangirlsunited
- keepbringingit likes this
- lovechildofvenus likes this
- lafrondeuse reblogged this from criminallyinsanespinster
- certaincertainties likes this
- dancingqueered reblogged this from hucketry
- igniteafirewithin likes this
- fangrrlsassemble likes this
- just-down-to-mars reblogged this from queennubian
- batangulap reblogged this from sweethesound
- batangulap likes this